Open Position: Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Specialist-Level 2
Title: Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Specialist-Level 2
Department: Human Resources (HR)
Reports To: Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) and Sustainability Manager
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, may vary
The EHS Specialist career hierarchy consists of three levels: entry-level (1), mid-level (2), and senior-level (3). Each level has different roles, responsibilities, and qualifications.
The EHS Specialist-Level 2 is responsible for ensuring compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations in various industrial settings. They conduct audits, inspections, training, and investigations to identify and eliminate hazards, prevent accidents, and comply with regulations. Developing and implementing policies, procedures, and programs to promote a culture of safety and sustainability among employees, contractors, and visitors.
They must also have strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as knowledge of applicable laws and standards. With the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- This position is responsible for the following:
Primarily responsible for implementing systems, procedures, and work practices to ensure “audit ready” state of compliance.
- Monitoring operations to control or eliminate the potential of hazards.
- Safeguarding co-workers by enforcing safety standards in consultation with management, legal regulations, training programs, and responding to specific concerns or threats.
- Ensuring that all employees have the knowledge, skills, and equipment necessary to complete their work safely.
Job duties include the following:
- Overseeing and ensuring effective implementation of various programs including, Lockout/Tagout, Waste/Recycling, SWPPP, Powered Industrial Truck, and Respiratory Protection.
- Facilitating monthly Safety Committee meetings and follow-up to completion on action items put forth by the Committee.
- Record and track leading/lagging indicators associated with our safety metrics to provide management with recommendations and suggestions for programs based on the data.
- Develop and maintain an exceptional working knowledge of safety standards for the workplace/equipment and train employees to help them understand these rules.
- Conduct regular audits of facilities to evaluate infrastructure, equipment, operational techniques/procedures, recordkeeping, and acceptable behavior.
- Responsible for conducting site reviews, completing audit/reports, review findings and making recommendations to management.
- Completing job safety analysis of existing and proposed equipment to ensure appropriate safeguards are in place.
- Identify improvement opportunities in the existing health, safety, and environmental programs.
- Revise or develop programs to ensure continued compliance with current regulations.
- Work with area Manager(s) on contractor and vendor safety concerns.
- Facilitate development of safety programs that encourage employee participation by means of enhancing safety awareness throughout the company.
- Prepare educational seminars, training material, and webinars on a regular basis.
- Assist Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) and Sustainability Manager with investigation and responding to emergency situations during or after normal work hours.
- Work with HR and Production to improve new employee on-boarding process for safety. This will include SAE Orientation safety training.
Will perform other duties as assigned. To ensure product safety and quality, the EHS Specialist-Level 2 is responsible for complying with controlling physical contaminants, properly storing personal items, and reporting suspicious people or activities to their supervisor. Required to follow all SOP’s, GMP’s and other department specific training. The backup to this position is the is the Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) and Sustainability Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
As a “subject matter expert,” demonstrating abilities to effectively present material on one or more EHS topics.
Degree in Environmental, Health and Safety or a related subject.
Current certificates of training in:
- DOT and RCRA Hazardous Waste Management
- 40-Hour HAZWOPER (8-Hour Refresher)
- OSHA 30-Hour (Industry and/or Construction)
Minimum of five to seven years of relevant EHS work experience in a manufacturing environment (food and/or chemical related).
Experience conducting root cause safety investigations.
Exceptional filing and organizational skills to maintain effective document control.
Proficient in MS Teams and MS Office applications (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc.).
Must have good communication and critical thinking skills:
- Excellent communication skills: Candidates in this position will need to convey, explain, or interpret complex specialist information in a simple manner. Hence, strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Interpersonal skills: In this role, the candidate will be required to build and maintain relationships, coordinate plans, distribute information and develop a mutual knowledge base for effective implementation of health and safety guidelines.
- Teamwork: In this role, the candidate will be required to work with other staff members and top management. The ability to collaborate effectively and work well with others is required.
- Problem-solving skills: The ability to resolve problems creatively using practical solutions is essential.
- Strong decision-making skills: Being involved in the decision-making process is paramount to this role.
- Organizational skills: The candidate should be able to prioritize, schedule, and organize activities to meet the objectives of the company and the role.
Must be able to walk/stand/climb for prolonged periods and otherwise perform tasks associated with risk assessments in manufacturing areas. Must receive medical clearance specific to respirator use/training. Must have good vision (with or without corrective lenses).
“Future State” (EHS Coordinator)
Will work in a temperature-controlled office. The employee will spend significant time around campus in the laboratory, warehouse, and manufacturing areas.
If interested, please submit a resume to [email protected]. Put the position title in the subject line, no phone calls please.