Open Position: Server Administrator
Title: Server Administrator
Department: Information Technology (IT)
Reports To: Infrastructure & Operations Manager
Hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, may vary
The Server Administrator (SA) recommends, develops, configures, installs, monitors, and supports the organization’s server hardware and software for the server-based systems. Assists with ensuring the availability of client/server applications, configuring new implementations, and developing processes and procedures for ongoing management of the server environment. The SA plays a critical role in diagnosing, resolving, and documenting hardware, software, and network problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and providing end user documentation, training and support where required. If necessary, assists with supporting the organization’s local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet system or a segment of a network system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for day-to-day administration and operations of the virtual sever VMWare environment, including both host and guest systems.
- Designs and implement systems, network configurations, and network architecture, including hardware and software technology.
- Identify areas of operation that need upgraded equipment such as servers, switches, fiber optic cables, and telephone wires.
- Upgrades hardware and software components as required including client and server patch management.
- Provides first level firewall and security support. Performs network troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose common network problems.
- Develops and writes procedures for installation, use, and troubleshooting of hardware and software.
- Provides users with help desk, network, and server support. Responds to needs and questions of users concerning their access of network resources. Trains users in use of equipment.
- Sets up user accounts, regulating and monitoring file access to ensure confidentiality and proper use.
- Assembles and configures new PCs, network components, and associated services. Provides new PC and server builds.
- Serves as key technical resource for team, providing advice, training and technical support for various projects and day-to-day operations.
- Provides corporate Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Office 365 support.
- Upholds the security and confidentiality of company equipment and data.
- Determines root cause of problems, identifies resolutions and coordinates fixes through completion.
- Manages the day-to-day workload and priorities of existing and new tasks, requests, and projects.
- Able to work independently with a high degree of self-motivation and little oversight; Willing to constructively challenge the way things may have been done in the past when appropriate.
- Provides support as needed outside of normal business hours.
- Tracks, manages, and reports inventory.
- Any other tasks assigned by Supervisor or Management Team.
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university and 1 to 3 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge in current and future Windows Desktop systems. (10)
- Moderate knowledge of current and future Windows Server systems (2012, 2016, 2019).
- Basic knowledge of Networking, Routers, Firewalls, and security (Routing, TCPIP, etc.).
- 2-3 years’ experience in desktop, network, and server support.
- Prefer Network+ or Windows Networking MCP certification.
- Prefer Windows Server or VMWare certifications.
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and analysis skills. Excellent attention to detail.
- Driven, dedicated individual that expects high quality results from him/herself, others around them and leads by example.
- Excels as an individual contributor and as part of cross-functional teams to ensure successful and effective delivery of work.
- Strong technical documentation skills. Ability to document IT processes and system architectures.
- Maintains strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to deliver commitments while managing multiple priorities.
- Reliable, predictable attendance is required. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s), and overtime as necessary.
- Primarily an in-office position, however some flexibility is offered to work at home.
- Minimal travel expected.
Employee must have no food allergies. Employee must have ability to climb stairs and maneuver underneath desks and tables.
Employee will work in an office environment located in Downers Grove, IL. The position is casual dress.
If interested, please submit a resume to [email protected]. Put the position title in the subject line, no phone calls please.